Monday 2 March 2015

Eve Online "So Long and Thanks for the Vagas"

So this is my first Eve story on this blog.  This was back in 2012 while I was living in a Class 4 wormhole. For anyone that doesn't know the entrances and exits to wormholes change after a set amount of time or if too much mass passes through them, so the systems next to you are constantly changing.

I logging into Eve one night after work, it was late and when I got online only one of my corp mates was still online, McBobtronic.  He told me that the wormhole next door was inactive, only a AFK pilot in a POS and a few unpiloted ships floating.  They had an exit to a lowsec system and Bob had found a Harbinger battlecruiser killing NPC rats in asteroid belts.  It seemed an easy target and something to do so I got into a shield fit DPS Hurricane (Bob was in a Myrmidon) and headed out towards the lowsec exit.  I reached the lowsec wormhole and out of habit I checked the mass on the hole to check it before jumping.  When I did I warned Bob that the hole had already been reduced by the mass that had passed through, straight away Bob told me that the hole had just opened when he scanned it down and it hadn't been reduced 10 minutes earlier when he went through.  We knew something else had come through the wormhole and Bob asked me to d-scan the POS that was in the system because he remembered what ships had been floating there.  When I told him the results he told me that an Orca had left the system.

This was a much better target than the Harbinger so we changed our plans straight away.  We checked the maps of the region the lowsec exit was in and found that it was only a couple of jumps through lowsec before you could get into highsec space and from there the nearest trading hub was Amarr.  We had no idea if the Orca had gone there or if it was coming back but we had to check.


Bob used an alt that was not in our corp to fly to Amarr with the target corp set to -10 so we could quickly identify any of their pilots.  When Bob jumped into highsec he found one of their pilots in a shuttle orbiting the gate back to lowsec.  We took this as a good sign that the orca had come this way, and that if the scout was still hanging around it was coming back.  He carried on to Amarr and another of their pilots was in system.  Bob docked up and got a cheap ship ready with a passive targeter and ship and cargo scanners fitted to scan the Orca when it left station and give us an idea of what we were looking forward to.

When the Orca undocked we got the scan results, we figured that if the Orca had left and was coming back it might be a market trip to sell some of the wormhole loot and buy some POS fuel.  Turns out someone was using the Orca to move into the wormhole, it was full of ships and fittings.  This could be a really good haul for us if we could pull it off.

Bob shadowed the Orca back to the lowsec gate to make sure he was coming straight back.  Then he logged off that alt scout and we both logged in hauler alts.  We moved them into the target hole and logged them off in space by the wormhole ready to log back in once we had killed the Orca to collect as much of the loot as possible.

Our plan was I sat back in our home wormhole in my Hurricane and waited for the signal from Bob, he would sit cloaked inside their wormhole by the lowsec hole and wait for the Orca in order to get the primary tackle.  We knew the scout would be coming in first so had to make sure Bob didn't uncloak until the second wormhole activation and be sure they didn't see my Hurricane before the Orca was in.

After a wait as the Orca came down through lowsec we saw the first hole activation, we both got ready.  Then the second activation, I jumped out of our wormhole and held cloak until Bob confirmed he had the Orca tackled.  The signal came and I warped to the Orca.  I was half way across the system and Bob told me a Falcon had just landed on the field and was trying to break Bobs target lock on the Orca.  I landed, locked and tackled the Orca and targeted the Falcon, with me tackling the Orca to it didn't matter if the Falcon managed to break Bob's lock.  I put all my guns on to the Falcon to try and force it off field.  At one point we both lost lock on the Orca and were forced to bump tackle the Orca to stop it warping off.  My firepower managed to get the Falcon to warp off at last.

The wormhole was still open so the Orca could have jumped back to lowsec and tried to lose us but had been relying on the Falcon breaking our tackle so had been aligned and moving in the direction on their POS so was now too far from the hole to get back out.  With our combined DPS on the Orca it started going down.  It was trying to fight back using a flight of small drones to attack Bob's lightly defended Stealth Bomber, Bob told me he was going down and needed to jump out so jumped through the wormhole into lowsec.  When he jumped back into the wormhole the tiny mass of his frigate was enough to collapse the wormhole.

The Orca was in structure now and going down fast when our D-scan showed a Basilisk coming in to start repairing the Orca's shield.   As it landed we also saw a Tengu strategic cruiser appear on scan heading right towards us.  Before the Basilisk could start repairing the Orca we blew the Orca up.  We both logged in our hauler alts and started picking up as much of the loot as we could.  The Basilisk had warped away as soon as the Orca blew before either of us could catch it but the Tengu had just landed on field.  I knew I had to buy enough time for both our hauler alts to make it into warp so I targeted the Tengu and burnt towards it all guns blazing.  I tackled it and assumed that if the Tengu was Pvp fit it was going to take me down, but it used ECM on me to break my lock and warped off.  We loaded up the Haulers and warped out back to our own hole.  We had managed to pick up two Vagabonds that it had been moving as well as various fittings and parts.  Before I warped my Hurricane out I blew up the Orca wreck with what was left of the loot that we couldn't pick up.

Kill Mail

Later we got a conversation request from the pilot we killed it turned out it wasn't his Orca, he had borrowed it from a corp mate in order to move his stuff into their wormhole and not only needed to replace everything he brought to move it but needed to pay for his corp mates Orca as well.

It was a fun gank (not really a fight) and at times it did look like their ECM back up might help the Orca escape.

So thats my first kill report for Eve, I hope I'll write up a few others in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment