Tuesday 1 July 2014

Flesh Tearers & Space Wolves VS Chaos Space Marines & Space Wolves

Carrying on from my last post this is another update from a battle a few weeks ago and again is from memory so a few details might be off.  I will try and take some pictures in future games to help jog my memory when I write these battle reports and to add so its easier for you to see what is going on, but for now we carry on.

So this battle was 2vs2.  Each player had 1000pts (so 2000pts per side) and it was me with Flesh Tearers and A friend with Space Wolves vs Chaos and Space Wolves.  If you are into fluff in battles just pretend that half were some very bad Space Wolves.  I brought my jump pack Librarian, 2 Tactical Squads (both with missile launchers, one with meltgun and one with flamer), a 10man Assault Squad with power fist, 6 man jump pack Death Company and Dreadnought (multimelta and DCW+Storm Bolter).  Also this game was played using the 6th Edition Rules.

I'll be honest at this point, I can't remember exactly what everyone else brought (I was considering calling all their units "them" or "those" or the funny grey ones but decided to make a bit of an effort).  I believe my ally had a unit of blood claws and a unit of grey hunters as well as a rune priest and land raider crusader.  The opposition Space Wolves had blood claws, grey hunters, long fangs, a rune priest in terminator armour small terminator assault squad with lightning claws.  His Chaos ally brought a Nurgle biker Lord (that's just stupid tough) with a relic weapon flamer and a squad of Nurgle bikers.  After that I remember 2 squads of Chaos Marines but cant remember if they were marked ones or not and a Havok squad.  Like I said, this battle was before I starting writing these reports and this is from memory, in future I will do better I promise.

So the game starts, we are deploying on the short table edges, so have to get the whole length of the board to reach each other.  We set up with ruins blocking line of sight to most of our units and with the land raider providing cover to anyone else (rune priest and blood claws are inside it and my assault squad are hiding behind it.  My Dreadnought is on the right flank with the Death Company, one tactical squad are holding a ruin with a objective and the other are within 2 moves of another ruin mid-table with an objective in it.  They had a grey hunter squad on an objective in there deployment zone and both heavy weapon squads in cover, everything else deployed on our left flank or centre.

The games starts...badly, a lucky lascannon shot (from the only lascannon on the whole board that was famous for never hitting anything in previous battles) hits the land raider and not only destroys it, but causes it to explode wounding my units using it as cover and the unit inside it.  There was a large block of difficult terrain on our right that my Dreadnought was trying to cross, for the 1st 3 turns he rolled 2 for his movement and his run so by the shooting phase in turn 3 he had only moved 10" but at least a couple of rhinos had moved into his range by then so gave up on running and started shooting.  My tactical marines had made it to the ruin with the objective and started shooting at anything the could. Our opponents were attacking hard down our right side since the land raider was gone.

The Chaos Lord and bikes had got into combat with my assault squad and Librarian and more Chaos marines were inches way in combat with what was left of the Blood Claws from the land raider.  The Lord and bikers were killing Flesh Tearers at an alarming rate and weren't put off when the Lord turned into a Spawn of Chaos (The Gods give...the Gods take away!).  The Chaos marines were dealing with the Blood Claws and the oppositions Space Wolves coming down the centre were putting a lot of fire onto my Death Company, Tactical Marines and Grey Hunters.  This really wasn't going well, and was starting to snowball.

So much fire power had hit my Death Company trying to make it up the board (I think people so blood thirsty that even Blood Angels lock them in a tower/executed them when they are not being used in a suicide squad scared them a little because everything in range was shooting them) that by the time they reached a 10 man opponents Blood Claw unit there was only 1 left...but they are Death Company, so I charged.  He was voted MVP after surviving alone against the whole unit and killing off 4 or 5 of them.  It took 2 rounds of combat for the Blood Claws to finally stop him.

At this point we had a look at the board, we had lost both friendly HQs (including warlord), the landraider, assault marines, blood claws, Death Company and one of my Tactical squads.  We were left with a Grey hunter unit, a tactical squad and a Dreadnought.  Although we had put up a fight and most of the Chaos units were suffering a lot of causalities they were still going and his Space Wolves allies had been moving slowly but were getting ready to bring almost their full force down on what was left.  We still had at least 2 turns left and there was no way we could turn this around.

I don't know if anyone has ever played 2vs2 games but turns seem to take a lot longer than 1v1 games even if they total points is the same.  This game had been going on for a couple of hours at this point and we decided that rather than dragging it out only to still lose we would throw in the towel now.  We ended the game.  Another lose for my Flesh Tearers, both sides admitted there were some really bad rolls on our side so it came down to a fair bit of bad luck.  And at least when its 2vs2 you have someone else there to blame the loss on.  It was a fun game and I do enjoy 2vs2 games since it opens up more tactical options and gets more people involved which is the most important thing since I play for fun.

Anyway,  only one more fight to write up and I'm up to date, so my next post with be Flesh Tearers Vs Space Wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment