Monday 26 June 2017

Fallout Wasteland Warfare

War Never Changes, except now it's coming from your PC or Console to your tabletop.  Modiphius are currently producing a tabletop miniatures game for the Fallout universe.

I love the Fallout games and have always been a little disappointed that there aren't more games out there based on the IP, I have looked for a Fallout RPG in the past but there aren't any official ones out there.  But now we are getting a official miniatures game.  The game is currently in closed Beta so we don't know loads of details but I thought I'd talk about what we do know and why I have decided to follow this closely.

So currently the game is scheduled for pre-order in Summer 2017 some time and release hopefully in October or November.  A 2-player starter set has been confirmed with everything you need to play and two factions, Survivors and Super Mutants.  More factions will be released later with Raider, The Institute, Brotherhood of Steel, The Minutemen and The Enclave all being talked about.  The game is going to be based on Fallout 4 to start with but with bits from other games possible brought in later which is really good.  A lot of the characters in Fallout 4 have already be confirmed as having miniatures in production so you should have plenty of variety.

The models we have seen so far look great and all come with scenic bases.  Modiphius have said they are looking to make assembly as easy as possible so will hopefully be only a few parts to glue (unlike Malifaux which are come in a lot of little parts).

The game looks like it will include a number of ways to play, including solo, and includes a levelling up system that the designers have said will appeal to fans of Mordheim and Necromanda (but I'm assuming with S.P.E.C.I.A.L and Perks as upgrades) .  Models can be used as units of grunts or upgraded to Characters which will give them access to more actions during the game.  There is also meant to be the chance to upgrade your settlement during a campaign, I don't know how this would work but it could be interesting.

Another thing that is already in production for the game is terrain sets including Red Rocket Truck Stop and Sanctuary Hills, as well as scatter terrain like vending machines, ruined cars and Vault Tech containers.

There will be a narrative section to the game were games are linked together and each faction has different objectives.  More scenarios are meant to be released via PDF and as boxed expansions so hopefully if support continues we should get plenty of content to play with.

I am really looking forwards to this game. I already have Shadow War and Malifaux as small skirmish games but to start I really like the IP that this is based on and I think it offers something different that they don't so it should have a place in my collection.  The narrative stories and solo play are the main things I am looking forward to game play wise and just the Fallout setting was enough to get me to look at the game.  I also like the idea of wasteland creatures getting involved in games between two players so you need to deal with a player but also a wondering Deathclaw or Radroaches.

Hopefully more information will be released as the game comes out of beta and I will be able to decide whether it is something I will buy, but for now it looks like I will be picking it up unless they mess up massively.


No comments:

Post a Comment