Monday 29 May 2017

Games I Haven't Played, But I'd Like To

It doesn't seem to matter how many games I have or play I there is always something I haven't tried that I want to play.  I decided to write a little bit about a few games that have caught my eye recently that I'd like to try.  Like the list I posted in January 2016 & October 2015 this is just games I am thinking about at the moment.  My mood seems to change faster than I can buy and play games so I may or may not get all or some of these games.  There might even be a little cross over with those old lists.

I have decided to split the list into Old, New and Upcoming games and have picked a few from my ever increasing wishlist to talk about here.

The Old
So these are games that have been out for a long time that, for one reason or another I haven't had a chance to play.  They may not be that old, I decided to use the cut off of old as 2015 because that was went I changed the direction of the blog from purely Warhammer 40K to gaming in general.

Descent 2nd Edition
Descent was on my previous list and I still haven't had a chance to play it yet.  My opinions on it haven't really changed.  I really like the idea of a RPG light board game and think it might be a good game to help get some of my group more into RPG games.

I know Fantasy Flight now do Imperial Assault which is basically the same game with some rule fixes and a new game mode, but I just find Descent more appealing and don't really know why.

Nothing has really put me off the game, I just seem to keep moving it down the list when I see something else that I like the idea of.  I have planned to get some more models for my Flesh Tearers army soon but depending on money I might finally pull the trigger and get a copy of descent.

Merchants & Marauders
Merchants & Marauders is actually the reason I decided to write this list, I have wanted to play this for a while and I was thinking about picking it up a few days ago.

I really like the idea of this game, one because it is pirates, but also because it offers different ways to play the game and still stay competitive.  There are different ways to win which makes different play styles viable.  You can play as a Merchant and win by making money and trading, as an adventurer completing quests and gaining fame or as a pirate taking everything from other players to help your own victory.  I have wanted a game of this type for a while, and thought it was a lot like Firefly but I think this will appeal more to my group, and probably take a little less time and table space.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island
OK this could have gone on either Old or New lists.  Their is a new edition that has been released but from what I have heard it is more of a reprint than a complete new edition so I thought I'd put it here.

Robinson Crusoe is a really highly recommended worker placement co-op game which I have heard is quite challenging.  The game comes with a lot of different scenarios which should give it plenty of replay value.

I am also really intrigued by the way that event cards can be placed back in the deck so when something happens later in the game it can come back and escalate, you might hear wolves howling in one event and then later be attacked by them.


The New
So following on these are 3 newer games that I haven't played yet but would like to.  These can be anything from the last few year, 2015 is still the cut off and anything that is released as of the time of writing is valid.

Mission Red Planet 2nd Edition
Mission Red Planet was a game I talk about both as an upcoming game and a future purchase.  Like Descent I still haven't taken he plunge and brought the game yet.

I still don't have many area control games so I still think it would fit well into my collection.  The main reason I like the idea of this game is the card play where cards are played simultaneously by all players and go off depending on the number of the card.  This means you need to decide between getting the action you want or getting your action in before the other players.

I think this is a game that would get a lot of play with my group since it seems simple enough to play and has a really cool concept.

Tyrants of the Underdark
This is probably the newest edition to my wishlist.  When I first heard of it I wasn't really very interested but more I see about it the more interested I am.  It is a Dungeons and Dragons board game based in the Underdark below the Sword Coast.

I think what really grabbed me about the game is that it is both a deck builder and area control game.  Originally I wasn't sure this would work and is why I wasn't that interested but I keep hearing really good things about how good the game is so clearly it does work well together.

Shadow War: Armageddon
Probably the newest game on this list Shadow War: Armageddon has only just been released.  I talked about it in more detail a few weeks ago here.  I have actually already ordered the rule book for the game that was recently released and by the time this is published I may have managed to play a game of it, but at the time of writing I haven't got the rules or played it.

The main reason for wanting this was that it was basically a re-release of a game that I used to love and it meant I could play it with the models I already had so didn't need to buy more which was a big issue with other wargames.


The Upcoming
So these are games which at the time of writing have not been released.  As I write their aren't any confirmed release dates for any but some are possibly due very soon.

Rising Sun
So I have backed Rising Sun on Kickstarter and I am still glad I did.  You can read more about why I did here.

Regardless of the hype around this game I am still excited to play it, Eric Lang and Cool Mini or Not always seem to put out great games and I loved Blood Rage.  I am still getting updates from CMON about how production is going and more I seem to know the more excite I get for my copy to be delivered.

A game that combines combat and diplomacy is something that I think will go other really well with my group and something I look forward to playing. Hopefully it lives up to all the hype.

This War of Mine: The Board Game
I backed this on Kickstarter a while ago.  Based on a video game of the same name which since I backed it I have played.  The game is about a group of civilians trying to survive in a warzone.

What I like about the idea is that it has a heavy story element and involves some difficult decisions which all have consequences as the game progresses.  Their is apparently a huge "book of stories" which will mean that the game has a lot of replay value.

The designers also claim that the game is designed to teach as you play so you don't need to sit down and teach people before the game starts.

It has a strange set up for a co-op game as well which could work well.  Instead of each person controlling a character, everyone controls the whole group and take it in turns to make decisions for the group.  This might lead to issues of alpha gaming but I think if everyone respects that the person who's turn it is gets the final say it should work really well.

Warhammer 40K 8th Edition
Finally another game I am really excited for.  I have written a fair bit about 8th edition, you can read more here and here.

8th Edition has really got me excited about Warhammer 40,000 again so I am hoping it is good.  Given that Games Workshop aren't known for announcing things well in advance it will probably be released fairly soon.  We are getting more and more information about the game each day and so far all seems good.


So these aren't the only games I'd like to try and play.  I decided on 3 per section but really especially with the New and Upcoming games I could do a whole other post about them.  Some honourable mentions include The Dragon & the Flagon, T.I.M.E. Stories and Pandemic Legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment