Monday 27 March 2017

Starting Malifaux Part 2

Following my post about starting with Malifaux I thought I'd share my first purchases for the game.  Some of the thing's I picked up aren't necessary to play but should help or give a better experience so I decided to pick them up.

I ordered most of this a while ago but due to a problem with stock I only got in recently.  Nothing has been glued or painted yet, just a look at what I brought.

My whole order.
So my order included the rules only manual, The Body of Evidence box set, Schemes and Strategies cards and 2 Fate Decks.  I picked up the rule book even though I had already downloaded the free version of the book online.  It is exactly the same but I don't really like reading PDFs and it will be easier to refer to in game if I need it.  There is a full rulebook available, with all the rules, fluff and stats for all the models in that wave, but I choose this to start with just the rules, I might pick the full one up at a later date.  The only thing that is actually necessary to play is the miniatures, the rest is just to help me out.

Schemes and Strategies Deck
Next up we have the Schemes and Strategies deck.  This isn't something you need to play but I saw them using them during online battle reports and they seemed to help.  In the box you get a card for all the strategies and schemes in the base book.  This lets you leave them out at the side of the board for easy reference or, if both players have a deck, you could draw the ones you have picked for the game to save writing down which ones you picked. 

You also get some Faction specific schemes to choose, 3 and 4 player scenario cards, story scenarios, table set up card and a rules reference card.  It was quite cheap so I'm pretty pleased that I picked it up.

Black and White Arcane Fate Decks
I also picked up two Arcane Fate Decks, one in black and one in white.  I figured I'd get two so I could lead one to friends if they wanted to play but didn't have their own.  They are actually pretty good quality with a nice feel to them.  The art work is really good, showing characters from the game on each card.  They also show the three damage levels as dots on the cards to save remembering what each card means for damage. 

Again  you can play with a normal deck of cards but the game has it's own suits, Rams, Tomes, Crows and Masks, so if you do that you need to remember which regular suit corresponds to each in game suit.  With the Fate Decks you get the correct suits already.  There are loads of designs available from Wyrd Games and other companies but I went for two the same just in different colours for now.

McMourning's Crew Box "Body of Evidence"
Finally the only part you actually need to buy to play Malifaux, the crew box.  I originally ordered two boxes but so far only one as been delivered because the other isn't in stock.  As you can see the models are fantastic.

Inside the Body of Evidence box
In the crew box you get the models obviously and a bag of bases for them.  You also get a stat card for each model which gives you the profile and all the special rules for each model.  Each card has boxes for wounds which you can mark off to track them, I'm thinking of putting them in some spare card sleeves I have and using a dry wipe marker to track wounds on the models easily.  You also get some upgrade cards which can be purchased by Masters, Henchmen or Enforcers to give them extra abilities.  Unlike Warhammer this is everything you need to play with the models, no Codex required and is the same for any box set you buy for Malifaux 2nd Edition. 

Body of Evidence Models unassembled
I ordered Seamus's "Streets of Red chapel" box set as well but that hasn't arrived yet.  I might show it once it arrives.  I'm looking forward to getting the models together and playing a game with them.  I am also looking forward to painting them, which is unusual for me.  I am also planning some terrain I can make to play with, I was thinking of trying to do some Victorian style slum building to Jack the Ripper style of the Seamus box.

I am sorry for the poor quality of some of the photos as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment